Microneedling, also known as collagen induction therapy, is a minimally invasive skin rejuvenation procedure that involves the use of a device that contains fine needles. The needles create tiny, invisible micro-punctures to the skin and your body then reacts by healing these punctures by producing new collagen and elastin, which is the key to new and youthful looking skin. It is virtually painless and an incredibly effective way to stop aging in its tracks! As a result, the skin is more plump, tightened and fine lines and acne scars are reduced. By stimulating collagen growth with microneedling, you can also reverse sun damage and discoloration, including the hyperpigmentation that comes with melasma.
Microneedling can be done on any area of skin that needs to be repaired—particularly areas that display loose skin, stretch marks or acne scars, like the stomach, legs, chest, and back. As few as three to five sessions could make a difference in these problem areas.
People who suffer from hair loss can sometimes benefit from Microneedling as well. It can stimulate the scalp and produce more of the hormones required to promote hair growth and increase follicle and hair size.
If you think of a laser treatment, the downtime can last a few weeks! With Microneedling you only have a few days (3-5 to be exact) of downtime. Your skin will have a red appearance with some swelling after the session, the severity of it depends on how aggressive the treatment was. Because there’s no permanent damage to the skin, the treatment can be safely repeated every 4 – 6 weeks. Compared to other treatments such as chemicals peels and dermabrasion, Microneedling is more “skin-friendly” and has less risk involved.
Microneedling can be easier on your pocket! Compared to some laser treatments that can be up to $2,000 per session. That can add up if you would need multiple treatments, which you often do.
If you google Microneedling, some scary pictures might pop up. Don’t let the pictures scare you! Some bleeding during the treatment is completely normal. You will feel little to no discomfort at all, due to the strong numbing cream we will apply before the procedure!
Microneedling can have amazing results, but not everyone is a good candidate for this procedure. It’s very important for you to weigh your options before deciding to get the treatment done!
Some of the PROS are:
- Reduce and improve the look of fine lines and aging
- Reduce visible scars, acne scarring and stretch marks
- Improve skin texture and even out discoloration
- Prevent new fine lines and wrinkles from forming
- Tighten and firm loose skin
- Shrink pore size
- Non-invasive treatment with very minimal downtime
- Can be used on any part of the body
- Budget Friendly
Now, onto the CONS:
- You don’t see results RIGHT away. Results won’t be shown until the new collagen has time to grow, which can take up to 6 weeks. Two or more additional sessions may be required typically about 4-6 weeks apart.
- It’s not for everyone. Microneedling is great for many issues, but there are a few that aren’t suitable for the procedure. It is not recommended for anyone with irritated skin, active acne, eczema, psoriasis or other chronic skin conditions.
If you think MicroNeedling may be right for you or if you have any questions about the procedure, please stop by, send us an email or give us a call! We would be happy to chat with you about the exciting benefits of MicroNeedling.